When a U.S. president conducts foreign policy based on intelligence provided by the autocratic Russian leader, Vladimir Putin,
an ex-KGB operative who helped him get elected — instead of our country's own intelligence agencies, our Constitutional
Republic is in the throes of FASCISM.
To take over a democracy, a would-be tyrant will run for office and make lots of promises that won't be kept. He will lie constantly and do whatever it takes to get elected.
As a candidate, a would-be tyrant will rely on, and exploit, the foundational democratic institutions which he intends to weaken or eliminate once he is elected.
Once elected, the would-be tyrant will immediately consolidate his power and try to keep it as long as possible — no matter how — just as Hitler and Mussolini did in the 30s. To wit:
- Eliminate all opposition, current and future
- Fill government with incompetent, self-serving yes-men
- Bad-mouth and take over the media
- Stack the courts with self-serving judges who will do his bidding
- Reward the wealthy and the corporations
- Form alliances with other autocrats to advance his own interests
Does any of this sound familiar?
Trump's obsession, however, goes beyond reelection. Thumbing his nose at the U.S. Constitution, his ultimate goal is doing away with our elections and staying in power for the rest of his life.
"He's now president for life. No, he's great. Look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll have to give that a shot some day."
~ Donald Trump on Chinese Communist Party Leader Xi Jinping
Trump's casual dismissal of constitutional restraints in his quest for permanent power and Republicans' seeming indifference are
gradually creating a sense of doubt and desperation in the minds of myriad patriotic Americans.
“I have an Article II, where I have the right to do whatever I want as president.” ~ Donald Trump
- Violation of Emoluments Clause
- Dismantling the administrative state (hollowing out vital government agencies)
- Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s findings
- Ignoring Putin's "bounties" on American soldiers
- Misuse of presidential pardons
- First Amendment (attempts to suppress free press)
- Lying and downplaying COVID-19 dangers